Intermediate and Senior Piping Designers
SNC-Lavalin Mining and Metallurgyis an international leader in consulting, design, engineering and construction of processing and infrastructure facilities for the mining industry. With a staff of over 5,100 employees located in offices in Toronto, Saskatoon, Vancouver, Montreal, London, Johannesburg, Bucharest, Jakarta, Santiago, Perth, Brisbane, Lima and Belo Horizonte, we are well positioned to successfully execute projects anywhere in the world.
As a multi-disciplined organization, we can undertake every stage of mining project development from scoping studies and metallurgical test work, to feasibility analysis and final design, to construction and commissioning. We have carried out over 350 projects worldwide in the fields of alumina / aluminum, copper, gold, diamonds, zinc, potash, iron ore and nickel including some of the largest projects ever undertaken in the industry
Location of Position:
Due to continuous growth, we are seeking individuals that are interested in relocating to Toronto, ON to work in our corporate offices. Relocation packages are available and Visa sponsorship will be provided for United States citizens. Consistently ranked as one the most livable cities in the world, Toronto has something to offer for everyone. To learn more about Toronto, please follow this link: http://www.toronto.ca/
Summary of Position:
Piping Designers and Drafters report to the Piping Design Supervisor (if applicable) or the Piping Discipline Lead. The Designers and Drafters are assigned to a specific project and have the responsibility for preparing all drawings, documents and 3D models in accordance with the project’s technical requirements and the prescribed procedures and standards.
Piping Designers may be assigned as a group leader over several Designers and Drafters. They will also have a functional responsibility to perform detailed checking of deliverables in accordance with the organizational and departmental procedures. Functions and responsibilities of a Piping Designer include:
• Review vendor drawings
• Prepare specifications and standards
• Design heat tracing systems
• Prepare equipment layouts and Piping studies
• Determine vessel orientations and nozzle locations
• Prepare equipment arrangement drawings
• Design pipe supports and miscellaneous details
• Generate 3D models of Piping systems
• Prepare demolition drawings
• Attend departmental project meetings
• Check 3D models for completeness and accuracy
• Check isometric drawings in accordance with prescribed procedures
• Review Piping drawings and documents for conformance to standards and project requirements
• Identify scope change and advise Design Supervisor for DCN preparation
• Actively participate in the development of the P&IDs and review daily for changes
• Review and maintain the line and valve lists
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
• Prepare plot plans and Piping arrangement plans
• Prepare sectional, elevation and detail drawings
• Prepare Piping isometric drawings and BOM
• Draft miscellaneous fabrication details
• Draft heat tracing drawings
• Draft special pipe supports and miscellaneous details
• Ability to work and communicate positively within a team based environment to ensure all deliverables are in conformance with engineering codes, standards, quality, schedule and budgetary restraints.
• Commitment to taking responsibility for job functions and understanding how their work is used and influences other engineering disciplines.
• Work with multi-discipline teams to develop optimum piping and equipment layout in accordance with client’s and other established standards.
• Prepare, update, and check piping 2D deliverables including General Arrangement and Detail Drawings, P&IDs, Isometrics, and sketches in accordance with established quality procedures.
• Develop and check 3D piping models in an integrated CAD environment for accuracy.
• Prepare MTOs, drawing lists, line lists and valve lists.
• Willing and able to oversee a group of designers.
• Attend departmental project meetings.
• Strong personal commitment to Safety and Quality.
• 7+ years work experience as an engineering technician or technologist specializing in Process Piping design and drafting.
• Graduation from an accredited technical college or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Experience working on large sized project required.
• Experience working in an EPCM environment required.
• Experience in mining and/or metallurgical processing facilities.
• Must be familiar with standard workflows followed in piping engineering and design during various phases of a project.
• Experience using 3D software such as SmartPlant will be beneficial.
• Should be able to work independently with minimal guidance.
• Strong communication skills
SNC-Lavalin offers a competitive compensation and benefits package in a fast-paced work environment. We are looking for innovative, forward-thinking people who enjoy challenge and actively seek to develop and improve work processes.
We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.