When will the market for piping designers pick up?

Poll: When will the market for piping designers pick up?

It already has!
6 17.6%
3 Months time.
5 14.7%
6 months time.
4 11.8%
Over a year away.
9 26.5%
Piping is dead ... I'm driving a cab!
10 29.4%
Total number of voters: 5 ( nathanhennessy, Caroline Conway, Anton, Ronny, CEConway )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #6687 by 11echo
ANTON, I hope your right my friend! ...But it might be more of the "blind pig" thing! ...
..."Even a blind pig finds an acorn in the forest every once in a while" ...In case you were wondering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #8780 by CEConway
Replied by CEConway on topic Market is up!
Its picking up...I got interviewed for and accepted a job I never even applied for! I had my resume out on the career sites and got an email one day from someone looking for piping/mechanical designers. Got interviewed (one phone, one in person) and started 2 weeks later. Fantastic company, wonderful work environment (and the money was right too). Sometimes it takes relocating to find a job...always be open to that.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #8873 by Munga
Replied by Munga on topic Market is up!
Just because your country announces that it will be increasing its oil supply it doesn't guarantee there will be work in that country for the increase in this oil supply in FEED and or Detailed Design.

Globalisation means that tenders will be sent to whom ever the company wishes to send them, quotes will be gathered and a decision will be made on many factors, one of them being cost.

So you might find that a German company is doing the design in Germany On PDMS or PDS and not in the home country where the facilities are going to be built.

That's globalisation for you.

To answer the OP when will it pick up?
With humongous design centres being built in India and China servicing the whole world and with their designers and engineers working for one third of the price of their counter parts in the west.

It may never get back to what it was.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Munga.

More
9 years 1 month ago #8888 by knives
Replied by knives on topic Market is up!
I think the original topic is not meant to address status of piping design jobs in US alone but on a global perspective.

So what if the detail engineering jobs are outsourced in India, China, Philippines or other Asian country. It could only mean that the career itself is growing globally.

More
9 years 1 month ago #8889 by Munga
Replied by Munga on topic Market is up!

So what if the detail engineering jobs are outsourced in India, China, Philippines or other Asian country. It could only mean that the career itself is growing globally.

Where dose that leave you and your colleagues for work in your home country?

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds