SPEC BREAK

• newdam07
  • newdam07's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #8290 by newdam07
SPEC BREAK was created by newdam07
Normally, when putting a spec break in a piping system, we do it at the flange. My question is what about if the line is 3/4" and socketweld? Do we add spec break flanges or can the material for the valve be different from the attached pipe?

Thanks everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6794 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: SPEC BREAK
It's rare to have flanges at that size, from my experience you'll see unions used and the spec break is located there. BUT if you're following a piping spec that dicates the use of flanges then it will be at the flange set.

• newdam07
  • newdam07's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6795 by newdam07
Replied by newdam07 on topic Re: SPEC BREAK
yes, I don't see any union in the pipe spec, so I guess flanges is the way to go.

I'm just curious, is it possible to weld a pipe and socketweld valve with different pipe spec?

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6798 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: SPEC BREAK
Yes it's possible, I've seen a piping system (with same commodity) where it exited a building into artic conditions so there was a spec break at the wall with a block valve, cold temp steel (A333-6) on one side and the normal indoor spec steel (A106-B) on the inside.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #7145 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: SPEC BREAK
Can you specify the Spec-Break first? What is the intended change? Is it Class# change? Or Material change?

Then it will be more clear to answer the way to achieve the type of spec break.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #7172 by hc
Replied by hc on topic Re: SPEC BREAK
Hey Guys,
My experience has been typically that the spec break is at the valve not a union or misc. set of flanges. This won't matter if its flanged, socketwelded or threaded. The valve is included in the higher rating. Now an exception to this may be between a facility to pipeline spec break(b31.3 - Z662). Generally though even then your changing spec at the valve. Usually when a spec break occurs (and this is generally) at a building wall its usually a insulation/ET break only. If I see a spec break at a misc. set of flanges or a union I would automatic question it either on your drawing or on the P&ID. Hopefully this is what your asking.
HC

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds