Flare Knockout Drum

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #8358 by LSG
Flare Knockout Drum was created by LSG
Is there a spacing requirement for Flare knockout drum? How close can I place the knockout drum to the flare?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #6935 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Flare Knockout Drum
There are a lot of factors regarding this issue.
(a) Local and National Codes (Plant location) - These are the first things you need to check.

(b) Type of Flare - Ground Flare or elevated Flare?
- If you have a Ground/Pit Flare the KO Drum should be outside the Fire Zone, 300 feet (100 meters) +/_ from the Flame.

- If you have an elevated or Stack Flare then the height of the Stack will influence what you can do. If the Stack is tall enough (300 feet)and the local authorities allow it you might be able to locate the KO Drum at the base of the Stack.

(c) Client preference - What does the Client say about this subject?

Do it once and Do it Right

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6940 by LSG
Replied by LSG on topic Re: Flare Knockout Drum
Thanks Jop,

It will be a flare stack, I have the stack placed 50m away from other equipment. So I can place the stack basically anywhere, but I guess another question is are there benefits to placing the knockout drum closer to the rest of the equipment or closer to the flare? Would the size of pipe or slope need to change?

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6941 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Flare Knockout Drum
Three comments:
1. You did not say how high the Flare Stack will be.

2. 50 meters (150 feet) is not very far. I think you need to do a Flame roll over analysis and see if your equipment will be in danger. If you have a 50 mile per hour wind at the same time you have a major Flare dump your Plant could be in trouble.

3. The Flare line from the Unit(s) should slope (down) to drain to the Flare Knock Out Drum and the line from the Flare Knock Out Drum to the Flare Stack needs to slope (up) to drain back to the KO Drum.

Just a thought.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6942 by LSG
Replied by LSG on topic Re: Flare Knockout Drum
Thanks Jop,

Comments noted and appreciated.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #6944 by shrivallabha
Replied by shrivallabha on topic Re: Flare Knockout Drum

Thanks Jop,

It will be a flare stack, I have the stack placed 50m away from other equipment. So I can place the stack basically anywhere, but I guess another question is are there benefits to placing the knockout drum closer to the rest of the equipment or closer to the flare? Would the size of pipe or slope need to change?

I don't think, you really mean it. Flare stack is placed considering the normal wind direction and generally you'd not place anything downwind to flare.

3rd point raised by Jop's last post would also mean you'll have to check the positioning [Elevation] of the KO drum i.e. to keep it on the ground or in a pit.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds