is it allowed to weld T-piece with T-piece?

• Yaroslav
  • Yaroslav's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #9015 by Yaroslav
is it allowed in engineering practice to weld T-piece with T-piece?
(see the picture below)

In my opinion it can be a problem, because the weld end for T-piece is bigger (wider) compere to pipe or any other fittings,
I mean that the weld between two T-pieces will be wider compared to weld of T-piece and pipe.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #9016 by Jop
Yaroslav,
There is absolutely no problem welding two TEE fittings end to end on the run or welding an elbow fitting to the branch of a TEE fitting.
If you are close to a fitting supplier or a pipe fabrication shop it would be worthwhile to take a trip to these places and have them show you real life examples of these.

It would be helpful if you would give us some information about yourself, such as your training in piping and your years and type of experience

Do it once and Do it Right
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Jop. Reason: request information

• Yaroslav
  • Yaroslav's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #9017 by Yaroslav
Replied by Yaroslav on topic is it allowed to weld T-piece with T-piece?
Dear Jop, thank you very much for your answer
I our practice direct connection is difficult, but the most important moment in case of alterations, both details (fittings) will be unusable if there no intermediate pipe considered. Isn't it?

More
8 years 7 months ago #9018 by Jop
Yaroslav,
This: "I our practice direct connection is difficult, but the most important moment in case of alterations, both details (fittings) will be unusable if there no intermediate pipe considered. Isn't it?" type of thinking is wrong.

The way your sketch shows the piping configuration is correct. Do not add extra pipe spools between fittings unless it is required for specific Fitting make-up.

It would be advisable for you to spend some time (before work, during lunch, after work, at home on the week-end) looking through all the posts on this forum. You will find that this type of question has already been asked.

Do it once and Do it Right
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbhijitN

More
8 years 7 months ago #9019 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic is it allowed to weld T-piece with T-piece?
I'd like to add something to this, abit different than JOP's explanation (although he's input is not wrong), and that is COST $$$! ...Every time you weld pipe it cost money, the bigger the pipe, the higher the cost. SO if you can generate a piping configuration that reduces the number of welds the better the design! ...Now having said that their are other aspects of a "good piping design" so don't think just reducing the number of welds is the only way to a "good design"! ...AND, it's not unheard of cutting out fittings (normally large diameter or special alloy fittings) and re-dressing the ends to be re-welded in some other configuration. But again, this takes time ...time is money, so be sure that it is worth the effort to do this, as apposed to just re-ordering another fitting and welding it in.

More
8 years 7 months ago #9023 by Anton
Yaroslav,

Take a look at this: pipingdesigners.com/contents/blog/146-bl...p-fitting-to-fitting and all the other articles under the "Content" menu.

There is some really useful information there.

Better still, print them, and make a binder to use as a reference / training / refresher manual.

- If you're the smartest person in the room ... you're in the wrong room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbhijitN

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds