vent & drain

• kulsingh_02
  • kulsingh_02's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #7952 by kulsingh_02
vent & drain was created by kulsingh_02
Dear Please somebody tell me in loop of crued oil line that....

Is it necessary to install a drain and vent connection in every loop which is at 60M distance....please give me detail...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #5997 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: vent & drain
Your question does not include any details so it is difficult to give anything but a general answer.
In general ALL high points should have a vent and ALL low points should have a drain.

These vents and drains are for use during hydro-testing of the line. Hydro-testing of the line is required on initial installation and after any modifications. The vents may also be used during start-up after a complete shut-down and draining of the system.

What is included as part of a vent or drain: A lot depends on where the Crude line is. The line may be inside the fence and a part of an operating plant with lots of people around or the Crude line may be outside the fence and part of a cross country pipeline subject to possible theft.

If:
a) the line is inside the fence - Vent and Drain - 3/4" Sock-O-Let, 3/4" Nipple (Plain both ends) , 3/4" Gate Valve, 3/4" Nipple (Thread one end) and 3/4" threaded Cap.

b) the line is outside the fence - Vent and Drain - 3/4" Thread-O-Let and 3/4" threaded Plug

What is the maximum operating temperature of this Crude line?
How long is this line and how many loops are there?

Do it once and Do it Right

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #5989 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: vent & drain
Very explanatory reply Jop..! Thanks for the same.
I understood that when we have a line from point 'A' to point 'B' we need to have a vent on the highest point in the line & a drain at the lowest point in the line.

but I have another relevant query about vents & drains i.e.

When you have shop fabricated lines & we are transporting spool pieces to site & the decision to make the spool pieces / shapes is kept with the fabricator.....in this case how does this affect on the hydrotest vents & drains ?
If the hydrotest need to be carried out at shop for each spool? Do we need to have vents & drains for each spool with the same logic High point vent & low point drain??

kindly advice on the above matter pls..!

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #5990 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: vent & drain
1. It is most unusual for piping spools to be hydro-tested by the fab shop. In my time as the Engineering Manager of a Pipe Fabrication Shop we never did it and as far as I know during all of my time ion the Engineering and Design side of things we never did it either. Hydro-testing is normally done in the field after the piping is installed complete with all Field Welds and all valves, gaskets and other assembly items are in place.

2. If, and only if, the shop was required to Hydro-test a fabricated pipe spool then I would advise the shop to determine their own best procedure for doing this including all venting and draining.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #5824 by AbhijitN
Thanks for your quick reply Jop...! It solves my query.....I must say you are very knowledgeable person in Piping which is rare thing to find.

Thanks a ton..!

More
9 years 1 day ago #8919 by AbhijitN
Hi all,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Lines are tested together with equipment connected. Which also means, the line which is starting with vessel A to vessel B may not have hydrotest vent & drains as the connected equipment will have it & can be used for the required purpose.

Looking forward to any correction as per the discussion we are having on this topic in this forum.

Jop-Pls help.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds