• Creator
    Discussion

hc
    Participant

Hey Guys,
    I love the board.
    I’m living in Ontario Canada, but just gave a leave of absense to head to Colorado for a year. I’m been doing the piping designer thing for 10+ years and am looking for more. I’d like to get into Project Management. I think it’d open more doors for me even in other industries. My goal is to end up back home in Nova Scotia and there isn’t a ton of opportunities for pipers there especially without PDMS. I’m an AutoPlant guy. My ultimate goal is actually to get into Nova Scotia politics where I can have a say in the direction of that province but, I need to be in Nova Scotia to make that happen. What do you guys think? There’s tons of experience on this board. When I gave my leave apparently there was a PM who told the engineering manager not to let me go because I have alot of management potential. Its seems too easy to get stuck in a Pipe Designer role because of the shortage in some parts of North America. How much of a stretch is it to go into project management? Alot of companies seem to prefer engineers in a PM role which I really don’t agree with as most high end piping leads tend to do most of the PM work anyways. Any thoughts would be appreciated.