• Creator
    Discussion

From another piping forum.

The question:
    “Can you please send me some sample P&ID’s, Isometric drawings and G.A Drawings.”

My problem with this request is in the terminology used for the last item listed. The poster (and many, many others) use the term “GA” to mean a Piping Plan Drawing. This is to me (and should be to all other experienced and dedicated “Pipers”) offensive.

“General Arrangement” implies a “Sketch” type drawing representing approximately what something might look like.

This term might be more appropriate for the document we all know as a “Preliminary (or Proposal) Plot Plan.” In a Preliminary Plot Plan the equipment is not accurate for size, shape or location. Therefore it is a “General Arrangement Drawing”.

The word “general” (when not used to describe a Military Officer) implies:

– Not specific or definite: I could give them only a general idea of what was going on.

– Synonyms: customary, prevailing, regular, ordinary

There is nothing “General” or “Ordinary” about Piping Plan Drawings. They are very special and very specific to their intended purpose. They are also very detailed in the level of information presented and in dimensional accuracy.

I hope that someday people everywhere will discontinue their use of this offensive term for the important document truly known as a “Piping Plan Drawing.”