Nozzle Projection

• newdam07
  • newdam07's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #8201 by newdam07
Nozzle Projection was created by newdam07
What do you consider when setting the length of nozzle projection for a vertical vessel? How much is the distance between the vessel and the face of the nozzle? Thanks everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6471 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Nozzle Projection
1). The Nozzle projection is not a normal function of the Piping Department. It is the responsibility of the Vessel Engineers and Designers.

2). I believe the Vessel Department will set the Nozzle projection based on the removal of the Stud Bolt with clearance from the back of the Flange Ring, to the vessel Shell plus any possible insulation.

As a piper I do not remember (It has been a few years) ever setting the Nozzle projection. The Vessel Department pretty much had and used their Standard. I do remember asking for a change in the projection of a few nozzles from time to time but only for special situations.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6472 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Re: Nozzle Projection
As a piping designer, we do need to know approximately what the nozzle projections will be on a vessel for initial layout before vendor drawings are available. When these drawings are available, we will verify that the projections are functionally correct.

General projections I've used for 150# and 300# flanges (from outside of vessel to face of flange) are:
2" and under: 6"
3" & 4": 7"
6" & 8": 8"
10" & 12": 9"
14"-18": 10"
20" & 22": 11"
24" - 30": 12"

• newdam07
  • newdam07's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6473 by newdam07
Replied by newdam07 on topic Re: Nozzle Projection
Thanks Jop and Joel! Yes, this is for layout study. Normally, how much clearance do we need from back of flange to vessel shell for bolt removal? Thanks again!

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6457 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Re: Nozzle Projection
Bolt length + 1" is a good rule of thumb.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6458 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: Nozzle Projection
When we do appurtenance dwg.s we put in a nozzle chart where we call out the nozzle projection. This is normally a "wish list" and we let the fabricator dictate the final length. However I use API 650 Std. Table 3-8 sht. 3-19 under column 7 (page 42 of 172), it list a normal nozzle projection which I normally use, seems to be a good list because the fabricator rarely changes my call outs!
www.scribd.com/ahmad_sulaeman_1/ ... il-Storage

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds