Branch Connection, again

• leozero
  • leozero's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #7473 by leozero
Branch Connection, again was created by leozero
Acording to the piping class of a plant where I´ll have to perform a branch connection, a sockolet has has to mounted for 4" x 12" connection. As an alternative for tie-in, which means cutting and most important, closing the pipeline, i´m planning to perform a Hot Tap, wich doesn´t need a reinforcement. Do I have to weld the sockolet anyway?. The length of my hot tap machine may not be long enough to drill with the sockolet and the valve mounted.

Regards,

Zero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4927 by timstorey
Replied by timstorey on topic Re: Branch Connection, again

Acording to the piping class of a plant where I´ll have to perform a branch connection, a sockolet has has to mounted for 4" x 12" connection. As an alternative for tie-in, which means cutting and most important, closing the pipeline, i´m planning to perform a Hot Tap, wich doesn´t need a reinforcement. Do I have to weld the sockolet anyway?. The length of my hot tap machine may not be long enough to drill with the sockolet and the valve mounted.

Regards,

Zero

You should meet the plant standards, or have the piping engineer approve any variations from those standards. A 4" sockolet is a very large sockolet, is post weld heat treating required? Why wouldn't the hot tap have the same reinforcing requirements as the sockolet?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but more information is needed to get a good answer.

Tim Storey

• leozero
More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4929 by leozero
Replied by leozero on topic Re: Branch Connection, again
Tim,

Agree with the information issue , post-weld heating isn´t required, and the line pressure 150 psi, material GrB, thickness 0.250", do not ask for reinforcement. Hope your questions are answered.

LeO

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4930 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Branch Connection, again
Leozero, I have a few questions for you.

1. What is your title and function in this action?
You state that a "4" x 12" Sock-O-Let" is required for the branch. This suggests me that you are not a Piping Material Engineer
You state that you are doing a "Hot-Tap which does not require reinforcement." This suggest to me that you are not a Pipe Stress Engineer.
You state that "The length of my hot tap machine may not be long enough to drill with the sock-o-let and the valve mounted." This suggest to me that you are not familiar with Hot-Taps.

2. What is your background?

3. How many years have you been working in the piping profession?

Do it once and Do it Right

• leozero
More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4935 by leozero
Replied by leozero on topic Re: Branch Connection, again
Jop,

I´m Mechanical Engineer with just 1 1/2 years of experience in this field, and i´m questioning what the engineering department suggested about this situation, which is, perform the hot tap, not adding a reinforcement, always with the approval of the client.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4937 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Branch Connection, again
leozero,
Where are you located?
Where is this project located?

I strongly recommend that you contact your "Hot Tap" vendor. Discuss this installation with them.
They need to visit the site and check on the following:
- Access for truck and lifting crane
- Overhead clearance
- Orientation of the Hot Tap machine
- Condition of the 12" header pipe

I Think they will also strongly recommend that you use a Weld-O-Let which will aid in supporting their machine.

You should also go back to your profile, here on this web site and fill in the rest of the information. Location, background, years of experience, etc.

Do it once and Do it Right

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds