union and coupling

• skgarg
  • skgarg's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #7845 by skgarg
union and coupling was created by skgarg
what is the basic difference between coupling and unions?
what are the advantages of ones over others?
where we use coupling and where we use unions ?
is there any guidelines or code that specifies where should we use what?
regards
SG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #5805 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: union and coupling
1, "What is the basic difference between coupling and unions?"
Both of these fittings are normally only found or used in 2" (DN50) and smaller screwed or socket-weld piping. The basic difference between a coupling and a union is that a coupling is for joining pipe to pipe or pipe to a swedge. A union is made for joining and disassemble of a part of a piping system (a steam trap or control valve, etc) for maintenance or replacement.
2, "What are the advantages of ones over others?"
The union is a higher cost item than the coupling. When you are just joining pipe you would want to use the lowest cost item. When you need the ability to disassemble the piping for removal of an item then you must use the higher cost union.
3, "Where we use coupling and where we use unions ?"
Use couplings to join pipe in pipe racks. Use unions at steam trap or control valve manifolds for removal of items for repair.
4, "Is there any guidelines or code that specifies where should we use what?"
The use of couplings or unions is not a code issue.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #5806 by Willis
Replied by Willis on topic Re: union and coupling
It is also a good idea when using Threaded and Coupled pipe in pipe racks to use unions every 3-4 random lengths. This will aid in maintenance if leaks are detected.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #5907 by hc
Replied by hc on topic Re: union and coupling

It is also a good idea when using Threaded and Coupled pipe in pipe racks to use unions every 3-4 random lengths. This will aid in maintenance if leaks are detected.

I don't really agree with this. Unions like flanges notoriously leak. You'd actually be defeating your purpose here. I'm not saying it isn't done but......I haven't ever seen it used that way. Unions are mostly used on SW and threaded piping where you need to break piping to access things for maintence or to aid in installations. Of course you may also use them at swages or nipples. Full Couplings are for joining piping. Its not a breakable connection.

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #6247 by Willis
Replied by Willis on topic Re: union and coupling

I don't really agree with this. Unions like flanges notoriously leak. You'd actually be defeating your purpose here. I'm not saying it isn't done but......I haven't ever seen it used that way. Unions are mostly used on SW and threaded piping where you need to break piping to access things for maintence or to aid in installations. Of course you may also use them at swages or nipples. Full Couplings are for joining piping. Its not a breakable connection.

If a coupled joint is leaking in the piperack, tightening one joint would result in rotating the entire pipe run. With a union every so often you can isolate a section for repair. Obviously, this approach would be used for utility/ non-severe service, as the use of T&C piping indicates.

More
13 years 3 days ago - 13 years 3 days ago #6257 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: union and coupling
Wills ...I agree with you about using unions to deal with leaking threaded pipe! ...BUT since threaded random lengths of pipe come with one threaded coupling (for continuation of a run of pipe), the occurrence of where and when this connection is made would be dictated by construction people. This would be better handled as a rule of thumb by them (1 union every 100’ of pipe). Piping designers only dictate union location when it pertains to "normal" maintenance operation. IMHO

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds