Use of Utility Station

• sidjain
  • sidjain's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #8098 by sidjain
Use of Utility Station was created by sidjain
Hi All,

Before one or two days....one of the new joiner (fresh Grad from college) asked me about utility station.
His question was why a Utility Station is really required in a Petochemical plant?
What is particular use of each and every service used in utility station?

Actually I was surprised after listening to these questions , May be because I never thought of these and I don't know answer also for his question.

Will anyone help me in finding answers for these questions!!

Thank You
Siddharth Jain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6250 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Use of Utility Station
Utility Stations are required for operations and maintenance. They are not optional they are mandatory, just ask the Client.

A “Utility Station” is a place in a Process Plant (Refinery, Petrochemical Plant, Chemical Plant, Power Plant, etc.) where utility services are provided for the use by Plant Operators and Maintenance people. These “Utilities” will normally include: Plant Water, (Low Pressure) Steam and Plant Air. Some Clients also require Nitrogen.
The “Plant Water” is for wash down of water soluble spills.
The “Steam” is for wash-down of hydrocarbon fluids.
The “Plant Air” is for pneumatic power tools.
The “Nitrogen” is for purging fluids and gasses from pipe systems prior to maintenance work.

A “full” (all services) utility station for the normal grade level location. Other utility stations are also required for elevated locations such as on the upper levels of structures and Vertical Vessels. Elevated Utility Stations may be “Full” Stations or may be limited to just one (Air) or two (Air & Steam) services depending on the requirements in the Clients Project Design Specifications.

What is the necessity of placing the steam line for the utility station on the top platform of the columns?
Is it really necessary?
If yes, when and how it will be?

My answer:
This is a very common situation.
The reason for the Utility Steam (and Utility Air) at the top platform is for maintenance requirements.
The situation would be:
- A very tall vessel
- In a dirty service
- When the vessel is subject to higher than normal maintenance activity
- The relative low cost of the pipe material is less than the labor hour costs to drag hoses from grade to the top of the same vessel plus the cost of that hose.
- When the Client's Maintenance Department says that they want it

if the answer to all or most of these is "Yes" then you should do it.

The way I did it in the past was:
- Run two 3/4" (DN 20) lines from the bottom of the column to the top platform.
- the lines would start about 4'-0" (3.2M) from grade
- They would end about 3'-0" (1M) above the top platform
- The lines would be supported near the top tangent line of the vessel
- the lines would be guided about every 20'-0"
- at the bottom of each line there would be the appropriate hose coupling for the service and a sign defining the service
- At the top of each line there would be a line class block valve, a nipple, an elbow, a nipple, the appropriate coupling for the service and a sign defining the service
- the steal line would not be insulated unless it is required for personnel protection at platforms. The steam in the pipe is going to be "thrown away" so there is no logical reason for conserving it.

When maintenance is required at the top of the vessel then a hose is run from a Utility Station at grade to the connections at the bottom of the tower. Additional hosed are lifted to the top of the vessel for use there.

Options: additional outlets could be added at intermediate platforms where Utility Air and Utility Steam might be required.

Do it once and Do it Right

• sidjain
  • sidjain's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6252 by sidjain
Replied by sidjain on topic Re: Use of Utility Station
Thank You JOP!!
I would like to use this answer in future also.......(of course with your name).

Thank You
Siddharth Jain

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6343 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: Use of Utility Station
Thnx for the detailed answer of the utility stations Jop..!

I would also like to know about when these utility lines are running to various locations, whether we need to follow any specific sequence to run the lines besides each other??

One of the seniors in the past project on the refinery project told me to follow the following sequence that is SWAN.....Steam, Water, Air, Nitrogen but however i am not able to figure out what might be the reason behind doing so??

Is the temperature of the steam is the reason for doing so?

Pls advice?

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6344 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Use of Utility Station
The First criteria is Safety. Once a sequence is established for a plant make sure that ALL of the Utility Stations are the same. It would not be good for you (being a maintenance person who just wanted to wash your hands) to turn on a valve thinking it is Utility Water and get scalded by Utility Steam.

The criteria for the sequence is the preference of the Plant Operators and Maintenance people.

SWAN is S (Steam), W (Water), A (Air) and N (Nitrogen). Not a bad sequence to follow.

Safety First

Do it once and Do it Right

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds