Cement Lined Pipe Queries

• shrivallabha
  • shrivallabha's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #8017 by shrivallabha
Cement Lined Pipe Queries was created by shrivallabha
In the current project, I have come across cement lined pipes. Initially, I thought they'd be similar to (not exactly) GRP pipes. However, that does not seem to be the case.

The first and understandable part was, it is used mostly in water service. It prevents corrosion and adds to the pipe's life. There is some good information at below site:
www.cementlining.com/clci/faqs.htm

However, I could not comes across, drawings and pictures of Cement Lined Pipes and Fittings. I have few queries:

1. Are these fittings (especially pipes, elbows and tees) flanged? Or are there other options?
2. What are the additional precautions to be taken while designing?
3. Is there any standard that applies to such cases (probably AWWA)?
4. Specifically,pipe collar is being used at elbows and tees. Why?

One precaution that one experienced Material Engineer had once told me was to mentioning cement lining while procuring butterfly valves. The valves would need reduced size of leaf.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shrivallabha
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6380 by shrivallabha
Replied by shrivallabha on topic Re: Cement Lined Pipe Queries
Thank you for information. Can you help me with any of the questions I have asked?

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #6376 by J
Replied by J on topic Re: Cement Lined Pipe Queries
Geez. Going back a bit in time to my water treatment days here but I'll give it a go. It's been over 17 years since I've worked with cement lined pipe.

CM lining is generally used for potable water. the pipe itself is ductile iron. The size ranges from 300mm to 1600m dia. depending on the manufacturer. Biwater and Stanton were the main 2 manufacturers at the time.

Just had a route around my desk for my Biwater book which is (or was) the bible for all ductile iron pipe. It must be at home somewhere. I do have some disks with CL DI pipe and fittings on them though if you're stuck.

Cement lined pipes are never flanged from memory so when connecting valves etc you would use a Viking Johnson flange adaptor.

When designing make sure you protect against surge as this could cause the joints to pull apart.

I'll have to get back to you after I get home and find my biwater book.

in the meantime I hope this helps,
J

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #6379 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: Cement Lined Pipe Queries
I've had some experience with cement lined pipe (CL) ...both with 10" fire water lines and larger 16" oil field production lines (althought this was a few years ago). The CL systems I used were steel pipe & fittings that was internally coated. All joints were welded but at the butt welds they used a plastic intert (kind a like a "chill ring") that in the welding procedure melted and bonded the cement ends together with the plastic. AND "IF" there are a retro-fit branch connection we used a flange at the connection large enough to reach in and hand-patch the area with grout mixture. We haven't used CL piping in sometime, everyone around here seems to be using "Tubeoscope" internal coating ( www.oosc.net/tuboscpe.html ) ...Good Luck!

• shrivallabha
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #6387 by shrivallabha
Replied by shrivallabha on topic Re: Cement Lined Pipe Queries
Thanks for the replies guys.

Its been a while since I visited the forum. The project (detailing scope) was over and since then I have been working on different project where we.

I'll have to look back in the job documents. I'd like to hear from you people again.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds