RFWN Flanges exact application

• nikhildeo
  • nikhildeo's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #8083 by nikhildeo
RFWN Flanges exact application was created by nikhildeo
My question is why do we use RFWN (Raised Face Weld Neck) flanges after filters, generally in standard practice, we use rfwn flanges after filter for lube oil systems for compressors or turbines.
Is it only to avoid weld material chips & other foreign particles to enter the turbines and damage it or any thing else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #6005 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: RFWN Flanges exact application
It sounds like you have taken a little information from one place and mixed it up with information from another place and therefore are confused.

This part of your post is a valid concern:
"avoid weld material chips & other foreign particles to enter the turbines and damage it"
Flanges , Raised Fact or Flat Face may be involved but are not the primary issue here.

The issue is how to you make sure you do not get foreign particles and material chips into the bearings of Turbines and Generators.
1. Place a start-up Strainer ahead of the Filter
2. Make sure that the filter mesh is sized properly to allow the proper rate of oil flow even when partially clogged.
3 Make sure that all piping down-stream of the filter is/was fabricated, internally cleaned, sealed, wrapped, packaged, handled, shipped, unwrapped and installed in such a manner that NO foreign particles, mill scale, weld spatter, get inside the pipe.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #6233 by Flowr8
Replied by Flowr8 on topic Re: RFWN Flanges exact application
I agree entirely with JOP, including the part that "you have taken a little information from one place and mixed it up with information from another place". Weld neck flanges are butt welded and therefore the chances of welding material getting into the pipe is far greater than that of any other type of flange-to-pipe connection, i.e. slip-on, socket weld and (most certainly) threaded flanges. Therefore that cannot be the reason. Weld neck flanges offer the greatest resistance to flexing and separation over the other types of flanges, so my opinion is that this requirement is related to piping stress. However, having said this, it is a very unusual piping class that allows for the use of more than one type of flange-to-pipe connection in the same NPS sizes, which would appear to be the case based on your question.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds