Piperack Loading concept/calculation..!

• AbhijitN
  • AbhijitN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #8041 by AbhijitN
Piperack Loading concept/calculation..! was created by AbhijitN
Can anyone who has experience in Piperack loading calculation can share their knowledge about it?
I need to transfer loading details to the civil/struct department so that they can design the rack accordingly.

I think Jop can help about it very easly??

Thnx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6291 by Anton
Hi CJ,

Once you have an idea of the number and sizes of the lines you require on your rack, take a look at the piping span chart here : pipingdesigners.com/Tools.htm#pipes

It contains, weight information for empty, full and insulated lines ... it's a good starting point.

- If you're the smartest person in the room ... you're in the wrong room.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6293 by Jop
It is not really difficult if you have done it before but I must admit it is somewhat confusing if you have never done it.

Step #1. Determine the Pipe Rack proposed width and the proposed spacing of the Pipe Support Bents.
Step #2. Determine the number and size of the Headers/Lines in the rack (the most congested part)
Step #3. Determine the "average line size" of the known lines and the potential future lines (take a guess).
Step #4. Populate the pipe Rack support beam with as many of the "average size" lines as will fit. Set the spacing of your average lines 1.5 times the line size. Note the total number of "average size" lines on the rack will be less than the number of actual lines.
Step #5. Determine the weight factor of the average line (weight of the pipe + Insulation + water) per foot or meter.
Step #6. Multiple the weight factor of the average line times the length (spacing between the pipe support bents). Pipe Support #2 carries the weight of one half of the pipe span between PS #1 & SP#2 plus one half the weight of the pipe span between PS#2 & PS#3.
Step #7. Apply the weight of the "average size" pipe times the length to the point where each "average size" line rests on the pipe support.
Step #8. Discuss your methodology and your results with the Structural Engineer.

I have tried to make this very simple. Please let me know if I failed and I will try again.

Do it once and Do it Right

• AbhijitN
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6304 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: Piperack Loading concept/calculation..!
Thanks for the step by step approach jop....I am going ahead with the guidelines......but however Can you advice on how to calculate the weight of the insulation in kg/m ? for the 16" Line if the Insulation density is considered as 260/m3.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6307 by Jop
cj.abhijit,
You only need to look at the "Tools" page on this web site to find the answer.
- Tools
- Calculators
- Metric Weight Book (if working metric)
- Tab #1 Instructions
- Tab !6"

- there you will find pipe, fittings, flanges, valves and yes, there is also insulation.

I think you will find that this is a great tool to do all sorts of weight calcs for piping items.

Do it once and Do it Right

• AbhijitN
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6303 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: Piperack Loading concept/calculation..!
OK I am going through the same.
Thnx

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds