• AbhijitN
  • AbhijitN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #8070 by AbhijitN
Pipe to Pipe Clearance... was created by AbhijitN
Hello All,

I have come across a plant where we have a client specific requirement to have Pipe to Pipe clearance as 75mm clear.

---In general, as per my experience I have worked on many plants where Pipe to Pipe clearance 25mm & at some instances 50mm (for cases where one of the pipe is of 300# or 600# or more).

---There are also few cases I have come across in the past that due to the expansion reasons we have given more clearance for some of the temperature critical pipes.

---But in this new plant Client is insisting that we need 75mm clear everywhere irrespective of the cases above...!

---First thing came in my mind was the need for frequent painting for the pipe..(because the plant might be corrosive??) & to confirm this I had a talk with the process engineer working on the project & he said yes...the plant is corrosive in few units....!

---Can you all share your experience for the above case...! Have you had any requirement like this & what was the reason for doing so.......!

Thnx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6281 by Anton
Replied by Anton on topic Re: Pipe to Pipe Clearance...
I can't comment on a clients reasons for wanting 75mm clearance between pipes, but what I will say, is that if that's what the client want's, and it is not an unsafe, unreasonable or unworkable request, then that's what the client will get - the client is footing the bill!
    *If a client request is unsafe - it is your responsibility to point that out to the client, via the project manager, or other means, and work with the client towards a safe mutually acceptable solution.
    *If the client request is unreasonable, take it up with your project manager, and ask the project manager to look into the clients reasons for this.
    *If a client request is unworkable, then you must sit down with the client and find a workable solution that satisfies the client.

Also, remember, it's not againt the law to simply ask the client the reasons for this request, especially if it seems slightly out of the ordinary -
    *Maybe the client is not very experienced - raising the question may prompt the client to look again.
    *Maybe there are very specific plant reasons for an unusual request - finding these reasons may benift you in other areas of the same plant.
    *Maybe the client is looking at the
"that's the way it was always done 'round here" reasons - maybe you can offer cost savings on the project by taking another approach.
*Maybe the client won't give a satisfactory answer, and stick to his request - but there's no harm in asking.

- If you're the smartest person in the room ... you're in the wrong room.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6210 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Pipe to Pipe Clearance...
Anton has given very good advice, had I got here first I would have said much the same thing.

However, I will add the following:
1. The original question stated "Pipe-to-Pipe". I think you meant to say "Flange-to-Pipe"
2. I do not remember any project where we had a requirement for triple the industry normal practice.
3. It is not unusual to increase the line to line spacing for expansion purposes. That is just good piping design.
4. If every pipe rack is going to be effected by this then you and your Project Manager need to show the Client that this requirement will potentially increase the cost of the overall Pipe Rack budget by a significant percent. A planned 8 meter Pipe Rack with thirty lines means that the rack will increase in width (30 times 50mm) to 9.5 meters resulting in a potential cost increase of 15%. Extrapolate this out to all Pipe Racks in the Plant and you have a sizable number.

5. As Anton said, find out why the client imposed this blanket standard.

Do it once and Do it Right

• AbhijitN
  • AbhijitN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6255 by AbhijitN
Replied by AbhijitN on topic Re: Pipe to Pipe Clearance...
Thanks for the valuable guidelines....I will get back to you after I get the reason behind this..!

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds