cavitation

• arunr.official
  • arunr.official's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #7353 by arunr.official
cavitation was created by arunr.official
i have got the information that there is a usage of avoiding cavitation and maintaing b.o.p in piping system with a ecc. reducer?

but, still i cant understand hw cavitation is formed in con. reducer and avoided in ecc. reducer.....pls explain..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #4714 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic You wrote: "I can't understand how
You wrote:
"I can't understand how cavitation is formed in con. reducer and avoided in ecc. reducer"

First of all I think the person who told you this or wrote it did not make the point correctly or you missunderstood what was being said.

Concentric or Eccentric Reducers do not "cause" cavation. Cavation occurs naturally in all pump suction lines. The suction of a pump is the lowering of the pressure in the suction line to the pump. The lowering of the pressure of the line fluid lowers the vapor pressure in the line. The lowering of the vapor pressure allows the fluid to "Boil" at a lower temperature. When a fluid boils it starts to form bubbles. As the bubbles form they will join and become larger. These large bubbles create "cavities" in the suction fluid. When these cavities come in contact with the pump impeller they cause cavitation erossion.

You cannot prevent the formation of these tiny cavation bubbles. What you can do is reduce the potential for the build-up of larger bubbles and therefore reduce the impact of cavation erossion.

A reducer installed in the line does not cause or prevent the formation of the tiny bubbles or cavation. What it can do, if improperly installed is to provide a place where the tiny bubbles can collect, build bigger bubbles and then be sucked into the pump.

An Eccentric Reducer properly installed, with the Flat-On-Top (FOT) in a pump suction line does not provide a place where these bubbles can collect. They are swept right through the pump while they are small and insignificant. On the otherhand a Concentric Reducer or an Eccentric Reducer installed improperly (Flat-On-Bottom) in a pump suction line will provide a place for the tiny bubbles to collect and build. Then you have a higher effect of cavation erossion.

I hope this has helped.
Jop

Do it once and Do it Right

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #4855 by aubajwa
Replied by aubajwa on topic Hi Jop, I would like to
Hi Jop,

I would like to bring in your notice the following article.

www.pipingdesign.com/eccentric_reducers.html

It is normaly recommended to install ecentric reducers in pump suction line with flat side on top; in any kind of service.

But the above article recommends to install eccentric reducers with flat side down in case of hydrocarbon service. In case of water service it recommends what stated above.

So what is the correct?

Regards

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #4857 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic That is a good article
That is a good article but I stand by my previous statement.

Do it once and Do it Right

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds