Liquid Pitch Piping

• whichwayisup
  • whichwayisup's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #7362 by whichwayisup
Liquid Pitch Piping was created by whichwayisup
Hi All,
I am about to start work on a project that will involve the use of liquid pitch.

The liquid pitch has a softening point of 90 deg C, temp must be maintained at 170-180 deg C, using an external thermal oil heating coil.

Project is due to kick of next week, so this is about the limit of the info I have for now.

If there is anyone with experience of running liquid pitch lines out there, could the give me any idea of what I should be looking out for. ie, materials, 3D / 5D bends etc, anything at all to get me started on this would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #4734 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic From a piping standpoint: 1. I
From a piping standpoint:
1. I would suggest you consider "Jacketed" piping insted of traced. Use the type of jacket that does not have a cold spot at the flange. Like this --http://www.csiheat.com/Products/Fabricated/pipe/insert.htm

2. Make the total system flanged pipe sections and flanged fittings for dissassembly when it "sets-up" on you. And it will!

3. Make the proper allowance for thermal expansion but keep the piping as short and as compact as possible. The more piping you have the more piping you will need to clean out when it "sets-up" on you.

4. Make sure there are no dead legs in the system

From an equipment stand point:
1. Make sure you do not under size the Heating Oil system with enough capacity (volume and temperature) to make a cold start during the winter months.

2. Consider having the Heating Oil circulating pumps capable of running even when there is a power failure. The electric driven hooked to back-up from the emergency generator. The other pump powered by steam turbine (assuming you have steam available).

From a Process and Operating standpoint:
1. On start-up fill the system with a solvent and bring the total system up to heat before introducing the "Pitch".

2. On shut-down fill the system with solvent , flush it out and if possible, leave the solvent in the line.

Do it once and Do it Right

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds