Need some advice, help me please...

• sunnybrad
  • sunnybrad's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #7388 by sunnybrad
Need some advice, help me please... was created by sunnybrad
Hello everyone,

I'm a 34 years old and it's just been a year since I worked in a Piping design company. Left behind all my 10 years in trading business, I just start a new life for being a designer and of course there's a long story.

Anyway, the first day, my company gave some manuals for basic drafting, GA dwgs, P&IDs and said "study". One week later, they put me in a real project and let me make modelling with PDMS and some drawings such as support detail using AutoCAD.

Nobody answered me when I was asking for something and just kept replying that "you'll know when you finish it" even Project Manager. I had to stuck my desk while watching the other guy's monitor to see how do they work. After several hours, I managed to drag lines on my computer and I could mimic other guy's way of working with knowing nothing.

Fortunately, though I barely remember, I took a class for about using CAD and how to read drawings when I was a high school boy, I could finished what I had to do just in time not going home for 3 days. But I couldn't know what all that mean was.

That situation kept going and few months later, company gave me a reassignment to China site cause I can speak chinese and english and it's been 4 months since flew here . In china, I'm doing interpretation and making production drawings and so on.

The problem is that my company doesn't willing to offer me an appropriate training. Even more, a training never been taken so far. Yes, nobody took trainings since the first day of their coming and they said most of the design company don't have the training course. Just learn from the project without basic knowledge.

Of course I know that it'll be very very tough and hard than I'm expected to start something new. Though I want to be a good designer and I really want to work in Canada or US someday. So I decided to find my way to achieve my goal. I searched every book stores in Korea for piping design related materials, resulted in nothing. At that moment, one of my colleague's word strikes me, 'there's no school or institute where you can learn this piping design and of course there's no book!'. Then I searched in US and Canada web site and it was freacking me out. Bunch of books were there!. But I could not know what is good for me and which is what I want to.

That's why I'm here. I've read all the articles in Training, Tips, Tools sections and it was very helpful to me. But I'm still hungry...
Would you please share your precious knowledge and experience with me?

Here's what I need for now
1. To read P&ID, I figured out that I have to know the system configuration and how they work. For example, when I look at the P&ID,
I don't know where is starting/ending point cause they all have connected. Is there any reference manual?

2. Is there any case by case design reference book? Such as when you design a manifold, min. distance has to be applied to between valve A and B, or for suction pump, expand joint has to be located where.

3. Any recommendations.

Thanks for reading and I'll be really appreciated if you show me the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4787 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Help
Sunnybrad,

Your story is scary but not unique, there are lots of people who have been tossed off the cliff into "deep water" with no training.

A few subjects down on this forum subject is:

"Process Plant Piping Books (Reference and Training)"

It would be to your advantage to look over this list and check www.amazon.com for price and availability. Choose one (or more) that sound helpful to you. Hopefully your company would be willing to pay the cost of one or more of these books.

Keep reading this forum and ask questions about specific problems.

Do it once and Do it Right

• sunnybrad
More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4788 by sunnybrad
Replied by sunnybrad on topic Re:
That makes me feel better that I'm not alone.

I believe that every problems have solutions and I'm the only one who know the answer.
Yes, it's the time to go Amazon.

Thanks, Jop.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4789 by Anton
Go to this thread: pipingdesigners.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29
for a list of recommended books for piping knowledge.

- If you're the smartest person in the room ... you're in the wrong room.

• JAYDEEP
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4790 by JAYDEEP
Replied by JAYDEEP on topic sunny brad
heloo
sunny brad

well i have been working in seoul since a year & half with engg company in korea. during my tenure i have found lot of people caught in a similar situation like you, i have seen people working in engg companys in korea just because they know to speak english but dosent know much about engg infact they dont have any engg base or such in their academics, and these people are forced to do interpretition with foreign clients with more than 20+ years exp. so one can imagine about the sceanrio.

also the culture here is your should never ask any of your querry to you boss or lead, so how the juniors will get trained if they are not guided by the seniors.........

sunny i hope i have some engg books which can certainly help you

regards
jaydeep

• sunnybrad
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4807 by sunnybrad
Replied by sunnybrad on topic Thank you all
Anton and Jaydeep,

didn't coming this forum for a while, I just noticed there're more replies.

Thanks for your tips and sharing.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds