Branch connection

• Sachin
  • Sachin's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #7413 by Sachin
Branch connection was created by Sachin
How can one know whether stub-in/stub-out or fitting connection is required or not for branch connection & in fitting type whether one should go with Tee or olet ?

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Sac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4815 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Sachin, You wrote: How can one know
Sachin,
You wrote:
How can one know whether stub-in/stub-out or fitting connection is required or not for branch connection & in fitting type whether one should go with Tee or o’let?

That is a valid question and my first attempt was not the correct answer to your question. Please forgive me. I will try again.

First:
When you ask this question are you a Designer doing piping layout?
Or, are you a Piping Material Engineer (PME) developing the piping line class specifications?

It makes a difference who (functionally) is asking the question.

Functionally if you are the piping designer doing piping layout then you use the information supplied on the “Branch Selection Tables” provided by the PME in the Line Class specs.

Functionally if you are the PME developing the “Branch Selection Table” for the Line Class Specs than it is a different role and my answer is different and longer.

As the PME developing the “Branch Selection Table” you need to know:
• The commodity
• The pressure (Design & Operating)
• The temperature (Design & Operating)
• Corrosion allowance
• Along with all the other data used to select the line class base material

Then you make “If – Then” judgment calls based on good engineering practice and economics.
For example, assume a Header size of 8”, 10” or 12” (200mm, 250mm or 300mm):
• If – the commodity is Cooling Water at low temperature and low pressure and the branch is size to size – Then you should use a TEE
• If – the commodity is Cooling Water at low temperature and low pressure and the branch is size to one size smaller – Then you should use a Reducing TEE
• If – the commodity is Cooling Water at low temperature and low pressure and the branch is size to two or more sizes smaller – Then you should use a Stub-In (or Stub-On)
• If – the commodity is Hydrocarbon at very high temperature and high pressure and the branch is size to size – Then you should use a TEE
• If – the commodity is Hydrocarbon at very high temperature and high pressure and the branch is size to one size smaller – Then you should use a Reducing TEE
• If – the commodity is Hydrocarbon at very high temperature and high pressure and the branch is size to two or more sizes smaller – Then you should use a Weld-O-Let

Each and every branch situation expected on the job should be considered and the proper calculations run to verify and document the basis of the selection.

I hope this helps you.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4816 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Your next question might be:
Your next question might be: What does a "Branch Selection Table" look like?

If you will send me an E-mail (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) I will send you a "Sample"

Do it once and Do it Right

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4840 by banerj1s
Replied by banerj1s on topic Sachin, In addition to Jop's mail
Sachin,
In addition to Jop's mail there is a term known as SIF or Stress Intensification Factor. Tee, Weldolet stub in etc varies in SIF and joint efficiency. Now it all is based on calculation how much the branch can take a moment or force to sustain and that is proportional to the joint efficiency. Stub in can take less force or moment than a tee. So if it is a high temperature service say steam you would want to be on the safer side using tee or a reducing tee. But at the same time they are expensive than Stub in or stub out joints.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds