Piping connection from PSV to the Flare Header

• meng8088
  • meng8088's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #7421 by meng8088
Hi,

I would like to find out whether is it true that we try to avoid using lateral connection from the PSV to the Flare Header? What is the preferable way of connecting them? Enlighten me please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4822 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic This is from my experience
This is from my experience only.
I have done it both ways. Slant in with laterals and straight in with a TEE, Stub-In or Weld-O-Let. Sometimes we had a mix of slant and straight in the same system.

You ask "Why?"

Some of the time the Client wanted one way or the other. Some times the Client had no preference one way or the other.

Most of the relief systems were straight in.

Some times we used the lateral method because there was a high possibility that the relief stream would be high velocity with mixed phase.

The bottom line is safety first and then cost.

Do it once and Do it Right

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #4839 by banerj1s
Replied by banerj1s on topic Meng. I knew it was the
Meng.
I knew it was the other way round. Can you give some references where straight stub is preferred to lateral in a PSV connection to flare header?

Cheers

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #4852 by sidjain
Replied by sidjain on topic I have found the lateral
I have found the lateral connection only.
as the distance between the pipe wall and the fluid inlet increases(as fluid enter at an angle so it travel more distance to hit the pipe wall) velocity of fluid decreases hence erosion decreases.
So i think it is the better option than 90^ entrance

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #4856 by hc
Replied by hc on topic In my experience using a
In my experience using a lateral tie-in to a flare header is size dependant to maintain a path of least resistance into the direction of flow. You use a lateral starting so many pipe diameters smaller than the flare header diameter. Like alot of things in this business it is client driven or office driven and not a hard fast standard. I've seen lots of flare tie-ins at 90 degrees into flare headers.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds