Flange

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4925 by jedax81
Replied by jedax81 on topic He was asking if it
He was asking if it is possible to use WN(Weld Neck) FF(Flat Face) Flange to mate it with FF(Flat Face) Valve Flange with different pressure ratings.

My answer is "Yes" that is possible. Taking into account the possible leakage, you have to look into the area of the gasket. The larger the area the better. When you are going to use RF(Raised Face) to FF(Flat Face), the area of the gasket will be small so the stress of the gasket goes up until it reaches to its maximum level where it fails and leak occurs. FF-RF & RF-RF will have the same load distribution towards the gaskets.

Considering its pressure rating, you have to make sure that the working pressure shoul not exceed on the lowest pressure rating of the flange since you are using class 125 & 250 mating together.

There will be only price difference between RF & FF. The only thing I'm not sure about is the dimensions of flange with 8" pipe. Just make sure they have the same number of bolts.

There are clients that will give whole specification of the material you have to use and there are some that will only give the rating and size and it is up to you to look what kind of flange you will use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4705 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: Flange
jedax81 ...It's NOT a working pressure issue. Mating up ANY cast iron flange with FF (flat face) to a RF (raised face) flange runs a REAL risk of breaking off the "ear" on the cast iron flange! And the other reason you can't do this ...there is no such thing as a CAST IRON 150#RF WN(weld neck) flange!

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4931 by jedax81
Replied by jedax81 on topic Re: Flange
echo,

I know pressure rating is not the issue here but you also have to consider it. As an engineer, we do take lots of consideration. Regarding the mating between FF to RF you can check this link:

www.gouldspumps.com/pom_0007.html

That will tell you some inputs about flanges. And if you know more than me about the ratings & sizes of that specific flange, that is fine by me since I have been working only with a maximum of 4" pipe for the time being.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds