Bad Day!

• still learning
  • still learning's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #7460 by still learning
Bad Day! was created by still learning
Hi,

I'm sure over the years many of you will have experienced bad days at work. After having a pretty good run over the last 6 months or so I had started to get some good comments from managers and others I had worked with and I was really pleased with how things were going and if I'm totally honest started to think I had this piping game cracked and it was onwards & upwards from here. (Even though I was was well aware I had lots and lots to learn still)

But over the past week I have found myself coming across obstacle after obstacle and feel as though I have hit a bit of a low. I can now see how I have masses to learn & I am only very very basic knowledge of some aspects of the work as a piping designer.

I have read on this forum many times that piping design is much more than being a CAD Monkey and I was aware of that. I want to learn as much as I can but feel I'm a little unsure where to start now.

I have carried out 4 or 5 surveys on my own when in reality it may have been better to have had some assistance but these jobs went well, I was really pleased & it seemed others may have forgotten how inexperienced I am and therefore when sent out for my last survey I felt out of my depth.

Anyone care to offer advice or experiences of their own?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #4899 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic You wrote: "when sent out for
You wrote:
"when sent out for my last survey I felt out of my depth"

By this, do you mean that your manager or boss or supervisor sent you out to a job-site or an operating plant on your own with no senior person or instruction?

If so then that was wrong! In the future please don't be afraid to tell people that you don't know what to do. You can do this by insisting that a senior person should go along. Also one person should never go alone. There should be a "Buddy" system.

There should also be an agenda for the trip. It should be reviewed by the supervisor and all members of the trip team.

You should also read my article under training/Field about Field Trips.

Do it once and Do it Right

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds