hidden linetype for u/g piping

• rblogan
  • rblogan's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #7482 by rblogan
hidden linetype for u/g piping was created by rblogan
When drafting elevation views of riser areas, is it "industry standard" to show the pipe as a hidden linetype when it meets grade and continues underground. Please only answer if you know for sure that it's industry standard, as myself and many co-workers I work with are all in disagreement with what is "correct".

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #3847 by Crashtested
Replied by Crashtested on topic Re: hidden linetype for u/g piping
I don't know that is an 'industry standard' per say but more so company standards. Everywhere I've worked someone has had a different take on what is 'standard'.

I was taught waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Christ was a Cowboy that anything u/g was hidden.

edit: OK, so it wasn't that long ago since compared to some of our members I'm barely out of diapers

Reality is a trigger word and we're quickly losing touch...

• rblogan
  • rblogan's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #5004 by rblogan
Replied by rblogan on topic Re: hidden linetype for u/g piping
Crashtested, I appreciate your answer. I also learned the same method of hidden lines in my years of schooling. But, after much arguing and debating with other designers with spans of experience, our company has come to a conclusion.

Any time we're doing a piping plan, we're showing u/g lines as a hidden linetype, which wasn't debated. And drum roll please....any time we're doing a piping elevation (say, at a riser outlet), we're showing u/g lines as a continuous linetype.

My arguement was that if you're showing a section view with grade, or dirt, in between the section and the actual piping, then the piping would be hidden linetype because the dirt is in front of it. But, apparantly when showing a section, we're assuming that the section view takes place right in front of the piping, which means there's no dirt in front of the view. According to many, it has been done like this for years by several different company's which makes it "industry standard". Personally, i don't really care, i just wanted a typical way of doing it.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds