Drain Valve Between Two Valves

• sidjain
  • sidjain's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7501 by sidjain
Drain Valve Between Two Valves was created by sidjain
This is very much confusing for me.
In P&ID it shows a gate valve and a check valve. the direction of flow is from check valve towards gate valve. line is to be routed for steam out. P&ID shows a process drain in between of these.
Is there any reason behind providing this drain? If yes plz somebody can explain?

In the same P&ID at another place again the same valves. but direction of flow is opposite. i.e. from gate valve to check valve. at this situatuin there is no drain valve in between of them but there is a drain after check valve. Does we require a drain valve between two valve here also?

Be sure that in both the cases the routing is such that you can not sandwich the valves. and service to flow is steam for steamout purpose

waitning for response

Thank You
Siddharth Jain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #4988 by Jop
Replied by Jop on topic Re: Drain Valve Between Two Valves
Based on the information you have given I see nothing wrong or unusual.

I am assuming that the pipe size in in the flanged pipe range, is that correct?
You are right, you cannot place the two valves together (Flange-to-Flange) for the first situation. However you can suggest the use of a "Bleed-Ring ( bleedring.com/FR-BR-BleedRing.html ) which will reduce the cost of the installation. Please be aware that you must select longer bolts to adjust for the thickness of the Bleed-Ring and the extra gasket.

You may place the Gate and Check valve flange to flange in the second situation.

Look here for more details on "Bleed Rings"
piping-designer.com/Bleed_Ring

Do it once and Do it Right

• sidjain
  • sidjain's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #5015 by sidjain
Replied by sidjain on topic Re: Drain Valve Between Two Valves
JOP sorry for late response.
Yes the Line spec is flanged but size is only 2".
Because of some reasons I cannot put the valves in sandwitch position.

Thanks

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #5016 by 11echo
Replied by 11echo on topic Re: Drain Valve Between Two Valves
“Theoretically” in the first situation you could have residual pressure/condensate trapped between the check valve the block valve …”IF” the block valve was closed. So you would need a drain or blow-down valve between those two points, before you broke the line connection at that point for any maintenance operation(s). …In the second case the check valve would not trap any pressure so the drain/blow-down could be down stream of the check.
However in the real world I don’t believe a flapper on the check would seal well enough to trap a really high pressured commodity (except a "heavy" crude or similuar). BUT I’ve seen where a ¼” weep holes have been drilled in the check valve flapper to eliminate that possibility. JOP’s suggestion of a bleed ring to place a drain/blow-down valve in that location is a good one and economical too. We use them a lot in the oil fields I work in. IMHO

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds