High Pressure Steam- Tapping a Blind Flange- Urgent Advice

• bobrussell
  • bobrussell's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #7518 by bobrussell
Ok, guys I am in a 9 line bind. I have a small issue with a High Pressure steam line. And a hard headed engineer. Due to space limitations in the field, I need to tap a 16" 600# Blind Flange CS A105, I need to place an 8" 90 deg Ell directly to the flange. I need some engineering back up that this is possible.

Operating Conditions are:

47Barg @ 390C and 40T/HR

Basically using the blind as a slip on.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #5047 by Jop
I was hoping that someone else would jump in on this before now and offer something. It did not happen, so, I will try.
You say you have a space problem. Okay. how much of a space problem?
From the face of the fixed flange, how far is it to the obstruction?
What is the orientation of this problem? Is this like a drip leg that will draw off liquid from a gas stream? Are your limits between the face of flange and a floor, the paving or grade?
What is your limits on obtaining other piping materials?
With-in the time frame of the project can you obtain a 16" x 8" reducing Weld Neck Flange and an 8" Short Radius ELL?
I am suggestion a Reducing Weld-Neck (instead of a modified Blind flange as a Slip-On) then a Short Radius ELL (instead of a Long Radius Ell).
Another point. None of the Slip-On Flange charts I have show 600# Flange/ELL combination dimensions. So assuming that you insert the ELL 3/4" into the 3" thick Blind Flange 1-1/4".
The difference between what you have planned (as best as I can tell) and what I am suggesting is 1-1/2 inches.
You also did not define any Insulation, so both methods must allow for the some thickness for the insulation,

Something to think about.

Do it once and Do it Right

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Jop
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds